TOWARD A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE FOR CONSTRUCTION
In the past decades, construction activities have largely followed the minimum requirements provided by building regulations, which are still quite modest with regard to thermal insulation, i.e., U values, for example. A building that has been insulated to true zero-energy or passive house level will allow for substantial emission savings during its useful life.
At Finnfoam, we want to contribute strongly to the development of more sustainable and responsible construction activities. Our products have a significant impact on lowering emissions generated by buildings through structural energy efficiency. We believe that we can influence the future of the whole industry by offering energy efficient solutions and leading by example.
PRODUCTS AND PRODUCTION WITH THE ENVIRONMENT AND RECYCLING IN MIND
The environment and recycling are taken into account in both the design and manufacture of Finnfoam’s products. We are always developing our production and products further in order to lower the environmental impact.
- We have implemented certified and audited quality (ISO 9001) and environmental management systems (ISO 14001).
- Since 2013, an Environmental Product Declaration (RTS EPD) has been prepared for each Finnfoam product.
- Finnfoam’s products are certified for use in projects carrying the Nordic Swan Ecolabel.
- Finnfoam products are CE marked and their quality is constantly supervised by both internal and external operators.
Plastic waste has not been produced during the manufacture of Finnfoam insulation products for more than 30 years now and instead all off-cuts and panels that do not meet the specified criteria are recycled as raw material through our recycling lines. Our customers and partners can also now recycle insulation waste easily with FF-Recycling Bags.
The production technology used in the manufacture of Finnfoam utilizes carbon dioxide, which is generated as an industrial byproduct as the propellant. Carbon dioxide has been recycled at Finnfoam for more than 20 years. We were the first manufacturer in the world to switch to using carbon dioxide as propellant instead of noble gases.
RENEWABLE ENERGY AS PART OF OUR ACTIVITIES
Listed below, are some of the measures we have implemented:
- Our plants in Salo and Lithuania are powered by our own solar power plants.
- Finnfoam Group has made investments in wind power.
- At our Swedish plant in Kristinehamn, we will begin using wood chips and other bio-based energy sources for generating steam and heat.
- In our plants in Salo and Lithuania, a heating and cooling system designed in-house allows us to recover waste heat effectively from production equipment and transfer it to where heating is needed.
SUSTAINABLE AND RESPONSIBLE BUSINESS ACTIVITIES
We believe in sustainable and responsible business. We want to be a trustworthy employer, expert in the field, and partner. We aim to ensure that we operate responsibly at each stage of the value chain and consider the economic, environmental, and social impact of our activities. We invest in the competence of our personnel, and we are always developing new innovations to further improve the effectiveness of our value chain.